Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Full of sound and fury..signifying nothing?

Anybody else ever get the feeling that their whole life is a play or a movie?

I do.

It's hard to explain, but I often feel very detached from things that are happening, and it's more like I'm watching myself doing things, than actually performing them myself. By that I don't mean the day-to-day stuff, like taking a shower, eating or going to the toilet. No, I mean the "important" stuff; the melodrama of life if you will.

If consoling a friend who's feeling bad, I often find myself detached from the whole thing thinking; "yeah, that sounds good. Sincere. Good show old man!".

Or if in a meeting with people-in-suits, giving a presentation or whatever, I think to myself, "Jesus, they actually look as if I'm saying something coherent, although I'm clearly faking myself through this".

It's not that I don't care, because I really do. I take things seriously, but at the same time there is always a little voice in the back of my head that just keeps me a little detached and smirking at the whole thing.

You know what I mean?

I think it might be in some way related to the fact that despite being 27 years old, I've never once felt like an adult. I always feel like I'm still a kid, faking his way through adulthood. Or maybe I'm just painfully aware of all the roles we get designated in life (breadwinner, parent, friend, lover), each with a set of expectations and patterns of behavior that must be fulfilled more or less adequately. As The Bard said; "All the world's a stage and the men and women on it merely players.", and who are we to argue with The Bard?

At any rate, I really hope I'm not the only person who gets the feeling that they are "acting" their way through life. If they are, I hope that they can delude themselves better than I can.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life."
~Oscar Wilde

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home