Saturday, September 03, 2005

It was the best of times..and the worst of times

So, I'm reading this fairly crappy sci-fi novel, "The Garden of Rama", the third book in the Rama cycle, supposedly written by Arthur C. Clarke & Gentry Lee. The fact of the matter is that Gentry Lee wrote the thing after receiving a story outline from Arthur C. Clarke. The first book in the series, "Rendevouz with Rama" is a bone-fide masterpiece, but the series turns to crap after that.

Why do I keep reading it? you ask.

Not as if I have something better to do with my time...so mind your own damn business!

Anyways, in the novel, which takes place in the 23rd century, approximately 2000 humans have been transplanted to a gigantic spaceship called Rama and have started their own colony there. Now, in spite of having everything they need, and a fresh start from all the problems that plague humanity, they totally fuck it up. They start bickering among themselves, completely lose control, allow some bad dudes to prey on them by catering to their vices (alcohol, gambling, prostitution) and generally act the way humans always do. Of course, the authors soften the blow by having a few people courageously fighting against the trend.

Comparing this to the current crisis in New Orleans, I see a startling similarity.

Some official (I forget who) said in relation to the looting, raping and general going-on in New Orleans post-catastrophe that "circumstances like these bring out the best in most people and the worst in a few".

I happen to disagree with him. I believe it to be the other way around (hey, I guess I'm a "glass half-empty" kinda guy..sue me). I belive that when push comes to shove, circumstances will bring out the worst in most of us, and the best in but a few. I truly believe that most people obey the law not because they believe in the intent of it, or the intrinsic morality, but because they fear getting caught and being punished.

I believe that most people are opportunists, and that if they have the chance of enriching themselves or bettering their situation and getting away with it, they will do so, regardless of how it affects others, and regardless of the moral implications involved.

I also believe that a number of people would never do so. I believe that only a small handful of people are able to rise above the animal instinct usually hidden by the thin veneer of civilization and plenty and show true integrity in the face of adversity. Who will always do the right thing, regardless of how it affects them personally.

And this belief of mine, that there are among us true people, "real" people, not just animals in disguise, is the only thing that keeps me from losing what little faith I have in humanity completely.

And God help me, I don't know which group I belong to. The former most likely.

Who knows? Maybe I'll have a chance of finding out one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home